HIGH-RISE talent: Tom Hiddleston
A quick look at the some of the High-Rise team’s greatest hits. Today, lead actor Tom Hiddleston who is playing Dr. Robert Laing
- ARCHIPELAGO (2010) – the second of three collaborations with director Joanna Hogg, based around a family gathering in the Isles of Scilly – a subtle and understated performance that captures the uncomfortable reality of family dynamics.
- THOR / THE AVENGERS / THOR: THE DARK WORLD (2011-13) – Loki is the role that put Hiddleston on many people’s radar – a gleefully over the top performance, and everyone’s favourite Marvel baddie.
- MIDNIGHT IN PARIS (2011) – a supporting role as author F. Scott Fitzgerald in Woody Allen’s time traveling romance, Tom shows his comedic talents to the full.
- THE HOLLOW CROWN (2012) – in this trio of Shakespeare adaptations for the BBC, Tom inhabits the role of Prince Hal (later Henry V) to the full, banishing lingering clichés of stodgy history plays.
- ONLY LOVERS LEFT ALIVE (2013) – starring alongside Tilda Swinton, Tom plays Adam, a centuries-old vampire who begins to despair at humanity for destroying the world around them. It was also his first collaboration with Oscar-winning producer Jeremy Thomas, who is the driving force behind HIGH-RISE.
What’s your favourite Tom Hiddleston role? Any other performances you want to add?
My three favourites most definitely are Loki, Adam and Hal/Henry. All three characters are complex and complete. His talent in creating a believable “real” character is so amazing that all his characters have lived beyond his performance. It’s not Tom playing Loki or Adam. It’s just Adam being Adam, my sweet broody vampire, and Loki, well Loki is Loki.
I fully expect Robert Laing to end up like that as well.
Unrelated, also by Joanna Hogg, must be included. Tom’s portrayal of “Oakley” is a beloved role by many…
…as his is “Prince Hal” in The Hollow Crown: Henry IV.
He left a lasting impression as “Magnus Martinsson” in the tv series Wallander.
And his “Bill Hazledine” from the tv series Suburban Shootout is also much adored by fans.
But his Caius Martius in Coriolanius is my absolute favorite Tom performance. Brutally beautiful.
My favorite is his “Loki” role and not just for the obvious reasons, but he was so damn good at portraying such a tragic figure for a comic book role. He loves his family, it is all he has ever known, but events he set in motion, upended his world forever, and even in his desire to take them all down, he still manages to show that his mother was very dear to him.
And, Prince Hal/King Henry V awesome performance.
Coriolanus. By a mile.
His very best of his acting talent is visible in his Shakespeare roles (The Hollow Crown, Coriolanus) and War Horse, but I think my favourite movie with him in it is Only Lovers Left Alive, but that’s just because the whole movie is SO GOOD!
That’s hard to decide. They’re all so different and there’s just none I don’t like. The one that impressed me the most (and gave me nightmares) is Coriolanus though
I agree. Coriolanus blew me away.
Choosing a single favorite role is like asking me which of my kids I love more. Every role has its separate appeal.
I’m going to have to go with The Hollow Crown. The character arc over the three films is beautiful, and still makes me cry.
I love Coriolanus but Loki is always going to be my first and forever love
Let us not forget Oakley in “Unrelated”, Cpt. Nicholls in ” War Horse” and Magnus Martinsson in “Wallander”.